Iwho get the house if i brought it into the marrige and its soley in my name and she couldnt even afford the monthy house paymen

Asked over 2 years ago - Estherville, IA

my wife is playing games with me thinking she will get the house we been married on year i brought the house into the marrige its in my name only and she couldn't even pay the monthly morgage

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Howard M Lewis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If you brought the home into the marriage its possible that you may be able to keep it. Alot depends upon the length of the marriage and your states local rules regarding property division and marital estate distribution. Please consult a local attny it will be well worth it, take care and I hope things get better, take care.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  2. Meghan S Bishop

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Property division is complicated and requires an experienced attorney in your state to properly advise you. Property division depends on what type of state you are in - community property or equitable or something else. In addition I'd depended on what contributions she has made tot he house as well as other factors such as her ability to work, the overall financial health of the family, if there is any equity in the home, etc. this is why it is essential to speak to an experienced family law attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,085 answers this week

2,897 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,085 answers this week

2,897 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary