Ive been victim of Domestic Violence,what are the possibilities that i have to acquiring my Permanent Residency?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I married two years and two months ago, to an airman and I have recently become a victim of domestic violence, but i have yet to press charges. Im protected Under the 245i, Right after we married He filed for my residency to be able to move in with him, were from California and hes stationed in Utah. I have recently spoken to my immigration lawyer in regards the recent incident and she said that we would have to take a different route in order to acquire my permanent residency in this country. Im just very confused on the possibilities or even on the procedures that will fallow. I do have an accident report made by Layton Utah's police department, and medical proof . I am worried because we didnt live much time together due to his deployment.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Atousa Saei


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you have an attorney, you need to discuss your concerns with her. She knows your case best and is your best resource. Best of luck.

  2. Gintare Grigaite

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, you have options, including filing as a victim of Domestic Violence. Make sure you work closely with your attorney, who is there to assist you.

    Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do... more
  3. Deanna L. Kelley

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You must discuss this with your immigration attorney. He or she will be able to help you answer your question regarding your residency. Although the state will assign an assistant prosecutor to help you with the domestic violence charge, you should make sure to run everything through your immigration attorney. Good luck.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,337 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,337 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering