Ive been married for 3 and a half years and have a permanent green card

Asked over 1 year ago - Meade, KS

yet ive only had my permanent green card for half a year my husband wants to divorce will i have problems and lose my GC

1. Michael Hugh Carlin

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . Based on your information, it appears that you already had your conditions removed, correct? In other words, you filed an I-751 and that was approved?

If that is the case, then you are a permanent resident (without the "conditions"), and divorcing your husband, alone, will not cause you to lose your green card.

2. Fernanda Nunes Hottle

Pro

3

1

Answered . Since you already have your 10-year GC, you will not lose it if you get divorced.

3. Gabriela Amada Vega-Acosta

Pro

1

1

Answered . Not necessarily. If you have a conditional residence and you divorce, you will need to file a petition to remove the conditions of your residence. Typically, they want both the petitioner and respondent to jointly file the petition. If you are divorced that is not possible.

However, so long as you can demonstrate that you entered into a good faith marriage with your US citizen spouse and that the divorce was due to normal issues that sometimes arise in a marriage then you should be alright.

I do recommend that you hire counsel to assist you on both issues as there are times when the pleadings in a divorce can negatively impact the petition to remove the conditions.

4. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

1

Answered . You will not lose your green card solely because you divorce if you have the 10 year card. If the card is conditional (2 year), you can still retain it by a showing that you entered into the marriage in good faith.