Skip to main content

Its about online bullying and want to know if anything can be done about it

Cambridge, MA |
Filed under: Education law

its about online bullying, its about a personal matter that made the news about family. the comments are all bashing and hateful. then once i told them to mind their own business they all started making comments about me. and keep making comments about me. 4 pages are all at me with hateful comments. i asked the site to close it or remove it cuz its getting out of hand or i ill look into legal action and they told me to piss off just about. is there anything i can do legal wise?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If it's in the news, and people are making comments about it online, it is their first amendment right no matter how unpleasant. If you are personally receiving threats of harm, call the cops.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.


You listed the practice area for your question as "Education". If the cyber bullying is on a school website or related to something that happened at your school, in addition to Atty. Sargeant's comments I would add that all Massachusetts schools are supposed to have anti-bullying policies. If the events or comments are school related and go beyond the First Amendment boundaries that Atty. Sargeant mentioned, you should report the cyber bullying to your principal so that it can be properly investigated.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your area who regularly practices in the subject matter which your question is about. You should develop an attorney client relationship with the lawyer of your choice so that your communications will be subject to the attorney client privilege and have the other benefits of a professional relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific matter as partially described in the question.

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer