It seems that an fee agreement is obligatory?

What is it really?
what about a lawyer who did not sign ?
Are there a remedy?

In most states retainer agreements are required to be written and explain all the fees and services an attorney will provide.

The attorney is not required to sign it for the agreement to be binding on them.

Remedy for what? If you feel the retainer agreement has been violated you should put in a complaint with the state bar. If you do not like the terms of the retainer, hire a different attorney.

Neil Pedersen

Neil Pedersen

In California, it will be meaningless to put in a complaint to the State Bar if you think the attorney has violated the retainer agreement. It has no jurisdiction to resolve those issues.

A retainer agreement is necessary for several reasons. First, it outlines the scope of your lawyer's work. Second, it is a contract on the fee. Lawyer performs "X" and gets pain "Y." It is a nightmare for all if the agreement is not clear. The lawyer does not always necessarily need to sign it. For example, if the client later balks at the fee once a settlement is made or a bill gets too high, the lawyer is protected as it was the client that signed the document. However, just to be sure, it is nice to have the lawyer sign to just in case the client needs to hold the lawyer to various terms within the agreement (like fully performing the service to which they've agreed). However, most lawyers want to get their fee so the work usually gets done.

In California, written agreements are required for any fee greater than $1000. Some attorneys do fee agreements and some use letter agreements. It depends on the type of case and the length of representation. If you provide more information, I can answer your question in greater detail.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.

If a written fee agreement is required, it must be signed by both the attorney and the client. However, that does not mean you're home free. An attorney who does not have a written fee agreement is still entitled to a reasonable fee. You do not necessarily get all your money back (you may actually owe money) and there are exceptions to the requirement of a written fee agreement in a non-contingency case. If the answer is important to you, you should personally consult an attorney for a better answer to your question.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference