It says on my bill "Transcript costs for the court reporter, $ 578.--" What does that mean? Time or actual transcript?

New York, NY |

The amount was paid by me to my lawyer. He doesn't answer my questions about the amount. The court reporter says she has never written a transcript.
She was in the court room and typed for about 5-7 hours, I think. She says she doesn't know what I have payed my lawyer for.

What the heck did I pay for?

1. That usually refers to the costs of the transcripts plus any appearance fee. Ask your lawyer for a copy of the bill.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. Ask your lawyer for a copy of the bill.

I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. www.PatchogueAttorney.com You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.

3. In most cases, and courtrooms, you only pay a court reporter if the transcript is ordered. You do not get charged just for the court reporter to sit in the courtroom.