It says on my bill "Transcript costs for the court reporter, $ 578.--" What does that mean? Time or actual transcript?

New York, NY |

The amount was paid by me to my lawyer. He doesn't answer my questions about the amount. The court reporter says she has never written a transcript.
She was in the court room and typed for about 5-7 hours, I think. She says she doesn't know what I have payed my lawyer for.

What the heck did I pay for?

That usually refers to the costs of the transcripts plus any appearance fee. Ask your lawyer for a copy of the bill.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Ask your lawyer for a copy of the bill.

I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.

In most cases, and courtrooms, you only pay a court reporter if the transcript is ordered. You do not get charged just for the court reporter to sit in the courtroom.

Recommended articles about Personal injury