It's been over two weeks, and I haven't received my paycheck. What do I do? Also, this company laid me off on Saturday...

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I know they're supposed to pay me my final wages immediately, but since I get direct deposit, how long do I have to wait until I get compensation for them being late with my final wages? (It takes a few days for the money to transfer). I can't pick up the check since the company I worked for is in a different state.

Regarding my late paycheck, I actually get paid via direct deposit, and even with the waiting period for the money to transfer, I still should have received it by now.

To be clear, there are two paychecks I'm referring to here. The first is the one that is 2 weeks late. For the other, I sent in my time sheet (I keep track of my own hours, and send in a time sheet over the weekend so they get it on Monday) on Saturday. So, when should I have gotten (a) the late paycheck, and (b) the most recent one?

1. Michael Robert Kirschbaum

3

Answered . Getting paid by direct deposit is not an excuse for compliance with the law. It was the responsibility of the employer to make arrangements to see you were paid all final wages on the day of termination. Failure to do so subjects the employer to a day's pay for every day they are late up to a maximum of 30 days.

Having said that, if you receive your final pay sometime this week, you must ask yourself whether it is worth the time and effort to seek those penalties, which would appropriately be through the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement. The longer payment is delayed, the more likely you will want to file a claim.

2. Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Pro

3

Answered . you need to consult an attorney because it may not just be your final check and waiting time penalties but you may have other wage claims such as meal and rest breaks and overtime depending on your situation.

Kevin Sullivan
    415-441-1052

3. Kristine S Karila

3

Answered . Because you did not receive your final paycheck on the date of termination, you are owed one day's pay for each day you have to wait - up to a maximum of 30 days PLUS attorneys' fees, plus the amount of your check, of course, and any earned and unused vacation or PTO. Call an employment law attorney. Many out of state companies make the mistake of not paying their employees timely pursuant to CA law. Many times, we can get what is owed to you by contacting the company - at no cost to you. 949-481-6909.