It's been over a year since my disorderly conduct conviction

It's been over one year since I took a plea offer for disorderly conduct (original charge was petit larceny).. How do I make sure the charge was properly sealed in the DCJS and the courts? What will show up on background checks at this point when I look for work and get that looked into?

Poughkeepsie, NY -

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

It should automatically seal. Check in court. They should tell you there is no public record. Nothing should show up unless you apply to be a police officer.

Howard A. Schwartz

Howard A. Schwartz

Criminal Defense Attorney - Brooklyn, NY

In most cases, the matter would automatically be sealed one year after the conviction. If you go on the Office of Court Administration website it will provide information on how you can obtain a copy of your record. This will allow you to confirm that the matter is not showing up. As to what would be found on an investigation, that would depend on the level of investigation done by a prospective employer. For example, if you were to apply to law enforcement agencies the history of your case would probably appear. Good luck.

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Bronx, NY

Do a background check on yourself, it should be sealed.