Skip to main content

It has been over 30 days and we have not received a green card or welcome to the us letter, or the production of an alien number

Milwaukee, WI |


My husband entered the US about a month ago, 28th of Dec. on a CR-1 visa through the Ogdensburg, NY POE from Canada. It has been over a month and when calling USCIS they say that they cannot find him in the system through his name or the registration number on his visa. Also went to infopass, they claim they cannot do anything, to just wait and that it may take up to 6 months to receive his actual green card. I know this to be incorrect because they must meet the 30 day time frame. In addition, I called the border control and they claim to have sent his visa packet to either Vermont or Mesquite, TX but refuse to provide an exact location or any tracking information. We are not sure what to do as no one will help any more and we fear his IV packet may be lost. Any suggestion?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Unfortunately, I have never seen an immigrant visa entrant receive the green card within 30 days. Up to six months is more typical. That's why the endorsed visa stamp in his passport serves as his temporary green card for one year. If your husband hasn't received a notice from the USCIS after 90 days have passed from his entry, you might want to enlist the help of your local U.S. Representative or Senator. Their offices have immigration liaisons.

  2. I agree. Or, you can hire an attorney to stay on top of the case.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova

  3. I agree with Attorney Wiedemann. Patience. The government does not work within the time frames it sets.

    The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. You can give it a bot more time or contact counsel if you feel it is taking too long and want someone to consistently follow up with it.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

  5. His stamp is as good as a green card, and he can extend it at an infopass appointment at the local office.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics