Skip to main content

It ethical for a woman to make the father of her daughter pay child support , even if he will never see his daughter

Denver, CO |

It ethical for a woman to make the father of her daughter pay 18 years of court ordered child support , even if he will never see his children? US courts enforce a Canadian child support order and make him pay child support. His daughter has gone to another country and Canada has no jurisdiction over child custody under Canadian law. The US State Department can locate his daughter, because her mother always gets child support from the American embassy in a third country. The US consular of birth abroad record does not contain the American fathers name, because the mother filed for child support after his daughter got a US passport in Canada. His daughter also has a Canadian passport.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Ethical and lawful? Of course. The responsibility arose when the child was born, even if the father never sees the child.

    Legal in this case? No way to tell--you didn't write enough about court ordered support obligation, but you suggested that there may have been a court order and there is some question as to whether the father has been documented as the father, leaving the reader speculating about the legal steps taken to date. Its not even clear if you are the father, the mother, or a disinterested third party.

    Recommend the mother and father seek local family law counsel wherever they are.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

  2. Talk to a family law attorney about this situation.

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

  3. It is absolutely ethical to request support from a parent even if that parent has no parenting time. The obligation to support a child is not contingent on how much time a person spends with their child. As for this specific situation, there isn't enough information to tell you what, if any, legal action could be taken.

    Answering this question has not created an attorney client relationship. You should consult with an attorney who can hear all the facts surrounding your situation to offer you further legal guidance. If you wish to speak to J.P. please visit Prentiss Zaynard's website at or call him at 720-282-5755 x1.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics