Issued a Careless Driving & DUI citation after turning a corner from my cul-de-sac had a sneezing fit, disoriented hit a tree.

Littleton, CO |

I had just taken an Immune Booster that my chiropractor had suggested I take when I was sick w/a cold or flu. I put an eyedropper full under my tongue & started sneezing as I was turning out of my cul-de-sac. I was sneezing so much that I could not see & went up an embankment, hitting a tree head-on, totaling my car. I was taken by ambulance to Littleton Hospital where I was issued a summons for Careless Driving & a DUI because the police said I refused to give a blood sample. I don't remember the police even asking me for a blood sample, and they also gave me an Express Consent Affidavit and Notice of Revocation which the officer put "Refused" where I was supposed to sign. I never saw this document, and the officer never asked me to sign. Do I have any defense w/these charges? Thank you.

You absolutely have a defense to these charges. "Refusal" cases are extremely fact specific and much will turn on the medical records and how they describe your condition compared to the likely 'prosecution oriented' police reports.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss your case in more detail.

John Buckley

No answer here should be considered to form an attorney-client relationship. You should consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction so that a full evaluation of the facts of your case can be conducted.

You always have a defense. You need to talk to a DUI defense attorney to help you. I hope you requested a DMV hearing within the 7 day period. Failure to request the hearing will automaticslly revoke your driver's license. A detailed analysis will help in determining a viable strategy. Police reports are what,they are. A version of alleged events from the perpective of the police. This does not mean you are guilty. You are presumed innocent.

Contact a DUI defense attorney immediately.

All the best.

This web site was created by this law firm so that you could learn more about the legal services that Iyer Law Office, LLC, offer. Although every effort is made to provide complete and accurate information, Iyer Law Office, LLC, makes no warranties, express or implied, or representations as to the accuracy or currency or reliability of the information herein. The laws change frequently and facts or circumstances are unique to each case. This website is for informational purposes or general educational purposes only and should not be used, acted upon, or relied upon without first consulting with Iyer Law Office, LLC, or another attorney to determine if and to what extent the information contained herein may apply to your specific case or circumstance. You should not act or rely on any information at this Web site without seeking the advice of an attorney. None of the information at this Web site is intended to constitute, nor does it constitute, legal advice. None of the information necessarily reflects the opinions of this Web site or its attorneys or clients. This Web site is not soliciting clients and does not propose any type of transaction. The determination of whether you need legal services and your choice of a lawyer are very important matters that should not be based on web sites or advertisements. In some cases, the attorney may associate with other attorneys in the handling of the client's case, whether as local counsel, trial counsel, co-counsel or any other capacity. An attorney-client relationship will continue with all such associated co-counsels and client(s). Any information that you send us in an e-mail message might not be confidential or privileged, and sending us an e-mail message will not create an attorney-client relationship. The information herein is not intended to create and does not create an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship with us cannot be formed by reading or acting upon the information herein. The only way to become our client is through a mutual Fee Agreement signed by the client and attorney and payment of our mutually agreed fees. If you are interested in having us represent you, you should call us so that we can determine whether the matter is one for which we are willing or able to accept professional responsibility. We will not make this determination by e-mail communication. The telephone numbers for our offices are listed in this Web site. We reserve the right to decline any representation. We may be required to decline representation if it would create a conflict of interest with our other clients. This Web site has tried to comply with all legal and ethical requirements in compiling this Web site. We do not want to represent clients based on their review of any portion of this Web site that does not comply with legal or ethical requirements. The information herein is not soliciting clients and does not propose any type of transaction. By using this information, you assume any and all risks associated with this use. This Web site might contain links to other resources on the Internet. Those links are to help you identify and locate other resources on the Internet. The links are not intended to state or imply that this Web site sponsors or is affiliated or associated in any way with the information at those other Web sites. To the extent that the professional responsibility rules of any jurisdiction require us to designate a principal office for this Web site, this Web site designates its office at 3333 South Bannock Street, Suite 330, Wells Fargo Building, Englewood, CO 80110. Iyer Law Office, LLC, expressly disclaims any liability for any special, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues, or lost profits, personal injury of any kind (including but not limited to any and all punitive damages) resulting from the use or misuse of the information contained herein.

Your posting is not specific as to what medical care you got at the hospital, but your medical records could be helpful in dealing with DMV, the DA, and perhaps at trial as well. Look for a diagnosis as to a concussion, and for a medical blood test for ethanol content (ETOH). This helps pin down what if any alcohol you had in your system, and could help explain a "refusal" you don't remember. While the DA might not be willing to dismiss altogether, it might be enough to convince him/her to let you do a deferred sentence plea bargain (no conviction on your permanent record and case gets dismissed altogether later). As to the DMV side of this matter, you might be able to get a hearing, even if you didn't ask for one timely, if you can show that your medical condition effected your ability to request one timely (as, in not realizing even that you had ever been given a form).

The government must prove each and every element of the charge (DUI) beyond a reasonable doubt. Refusal cases are often difficult for the prosecution to prove because the prosecution cannot simply rely on a number.

You will be well served by speaking with a quality DUI attorney in the Metro area. I wish you the best of luck.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets