Issue regarding the Temporary protected Status for Syrians

Asked almost 2 years ago - Little Falls, NJ

I entered USA in 4,july on a B2 visa, after thatI filed for "Temporary protected Status" for Syrians on 20,sep , I have received a letter stating that USCIS is requiring additional information to proccess my case; any document to prove that I was in USA before 29,March, but considering that fact that I was not here at that time, how can USCIS ask me eventhough they know that I wasnt here. What I am I supposed to do? should I reply back and notify them that I was not here at that time, therefore I will receive a rejection and end up being out of status because my I-94 ends up on 4,January.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Eric M. Mark


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Why did you think they would approve your TPS even though you were not eligible for it? If you don't answer, your application will be denied. If you notify them you were not here in March your application will be denied. If you lie or submit false evidence your application will be denied and you will never be able to obtain a visa in the future, either. If you are afraid to return to Syria, speak with a lawyer to determine if you have any other options.

  2. Steven Sahag Vosbikian


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is why you should have consulted with an attorney in the first place - YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE for TPS status.

    Mr. Mark is correct - you potentially may have an asylum claim, only if you suffered past persecution or have a well-founded fear of future persecution on the account of account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion. Only 19% of the affirmative asylum application are granted in the Lyndhurst Asylum Office. I suggest speaking with a competent attorney.

    I am assuming you entered on July 04, 2011. If that is true, you only have one year to apply for asylum. After one (1) year, you are ineligible.

    VOSBIKIAN & VOSBIKIAN, L.L.C. (856) 755-1400, e-mail: - Offices in Atlantic City, Cherry... more
  3. William John Vandenberg


    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hi! First, go IMMEDIATELY to an experienced immigration attorney. You can in all likelihood at least ask to extend your B2 visitor visa before the 4th. There are likely other options that a good immigration attorney can offer you depending on your personal information and history. Regarding your TPS application, from the facts you gave, you wouldn't qualify. You could withdraw, or answer with the truth. Always tell the truth.

    I wish you the best, and if we can be of assistance please contact us directly.


  4. Yolanda Navarrete

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You should get a consultation and explore applying for Assylum.

    Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

B2 tourist visa

A B-2 tourist visa is easier to obtain than other kinds of visas, but it only allows you to visit the US for a limited period of time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,653 answers this week

2,968 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,653 answers this week

2,968 attorneys answering