Isn't this conflict of interest??

Asked 11 months ago - Cartersville, GA

An attorney who represented me in a divorce is now representing my ex-wife in a child custody case. My children have been in foster care since November. I couldn't take them because she had me arrested on a trumped up charge so I couldn't take them. This lawyer lied in court saying he never represented me. I have a lot of correspondence that says he did!!

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

3

Answered . If the facts are as you state them, there likely is a conflict. You need to do two things - (1) get a lawyer (and you needed one yesterday), and (2) contact the state bar of Georgia's general counsel as to a possible disciplinary matter about the lawyer (call them Monday).

2. Jack Richard Lebowitz

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . Sounds like you have a smoking gun here. Get an attorney and make a motion that your former attorney recuse himself and terminate the representation. File a complaint with your state's bar association. Look at Rule 1.9 in the GA Code of Professional Conduct (link below) regarding "Duties owed to Former Clients". You should also find a complaint form and address to contact by poking around that site or using Google.

3. Alexander Mchenry Memmen

Pro

3

Answered . It would certainly seem to be a conflict of interest. I would recommend talking to a lawyer to fully understand your rights.