Isn't it the landlords responsibility to let the tenant know there was a death in the apartment building.....

Asked 9 months ago - Owosso, MI

I live in a apartment building with my 3 children on a month to month lease, come to find out ( from the maintenance guy) there was a death next door to me..... he died by the heat register and it still stinks here, there's bugs that come out of my register and the carpets are filled with cigarette burns I had to steam clean the carpets so many times before I could put my 1 year old on the floor I spent way over $200 doing it, when we did the lease the landlord just wrote something out while telling me ( keep company to a minimum, don't be late on rent etc...) I want to move out but she told me I have to give her a 30 day notice so she can do a walk through and to make sure consumers is paid up ( I pay rent and consumers) can she get in trouble for any of this?

The landlord said she would give me a copy of the lease which I have not seen yet that was 4 months ago.

1. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

5

Answered . You're on a month to month lease, which in most states is terminable by either the tenant or landlord upon 30 days written notice. Regarding the death -- if it has no effect on you or the apartment you're renting, I don't see why the landlord would be under any obligation to tell you about it. If there are bug or other issues, including the carpets, you should complain about those things in writing and request that your landlord fix them. Your landlord has an obligation to maintain the premises in a habitable condition.