Islamic marriage in Chicago

Chicago, IL |

A friend got married in Chicago under the islamic law, she never got a marriage license or certificate from the county/state. But she signed a papers that issued by the mosque. this married was never recorded with the vital records. Does state of Illinois consider/recognize this marriage a valid marriage?

Without a marriage license, this marriage is not recognized by the state, even though there was a religious ceremony.

Hello, Do you know where I can find the statute for this?

Without a marriage license issued by the county clerk's office the marriage is not recognized under Illinois state law.

This comment is being left for informational purposes only and based solely on the information provided in the question. This comment does NOT create an attorney - client relationship. An attorney should be contact directly and given the full details of the specific circumstances in order to be best able to assist in the issues at hand.

No marriage if no marriage license.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

750 ILCS 5/202

what about this "Applicable part: § 15. Religious freedom. Nothing in this Act shall interfere with or regulate the religious practice of any religious body. Any religious body, Indian Nation or Tribe or Native Group is free to choose whether or not to solemnize or officiate a civil union." please help

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

Look read whatever you want into the statute. The law is no license and no marriage. The US government has the right to approve the marriage PERIOD.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Asker - What is your point? If you are asking about marriage, your friend is free to get married under Islamic law. Divorce is a civil matter. She cannot get divorced if her marriage is not recognized under civil law.

My friend did get married again, she has been married for 3 yrs now. my all point will the previous marriage invalidate the current marriage? She never obtain a marriage licence for the first one. its pure islamic marriage which she called off after 5 days. is her current marriage invalid or not, please help, Thanks a lot

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

She is legally married to the second person.