Is your license suspended right after you get arrested for a DUI, or after your first court date?

Torrance, CA |

When is your license suspended after you get arrested for a DUI? Can I still drive to and from work before I go to court?

1. You have 10 days to request a hearing from the DMV after the arrest. After you request a DMV hearing, there is a stay on the suspension, meaning you can drive as if you normally would. The DMV will send you a notice of the determination.

Try to understand that there are two suspensions that you get with a DUI. The first is from the DMV, and the second is if you are found guilty in court. You should talk to a criminal defense attorney to go over your case.

2. No, your license is not automatically suspended when you get a DUI. You should have received a pink paper which acts as a temporary license.

Within 10 days of your DUI, you need to request a DMV hearing. This can stay your suspension. If you do not request a hearing, you will get a 30 day hard suspension. Thereafter, you can sign up for the DUI class (if this is your first) and get a restricted license.

Best to consult an attorney about the DUI, request your hearing, and sign up for the DUI class.

3. The above answers are correct. You have 30 days from the date of arrest in which your license stays valid, unless you request the DMV Hearing within 10 days of the arrest.

If you win the Hearing, you won't lose your license unless you are convicted of a DUI. If you lose the Hearing, your license suspension will begin, with eligibility for a license 30 days from that date if you comply with the requirements.

DUI topics