Is your first offence for possession of heroin a felony in MA?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hardwick, MA

I was convicted for possession of 3 bags of heroin in holyoke ma in 2007 I have also been convicted for possession of marijuana in the past and served a 6 month sentence for a combination of the marijuana and heroin charges. Is this a felony?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Eleanor R. Hertzberg


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The first offense of simple possession of heroin is a misdemeanor. Second and subsequent offenses are felonies. See M.G.L.A. 94C ยง 34. You could make sure that is what you had by either running your own CORI (see for the procedure) or by going to the court in Holyoke and getting a copy of the docket sheet.

  2. David C. Newton

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is not enough information here to determine what you pled to. Check the clerk's office to see what crime chapter and section you actually pled to. Then look to see if the potential maximum penalty includes the potential for state prison, if it does then you it is a felony.

    This is not intended as legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Dominic L. Pang

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If it was straight first offense possession of heroin, as opposed to possession with intent to distribute (which is often the crime that is charged when the police find more than 1 bag of drugs on a person, even if there are no other indicators of intent to distribute), then it is a misdemeanor. The same is true of a straight first offense marijuana possession. If they are both misdemeanor charges, then enough time has elapsed that you can seal your record, even though you were convicted, provided that you have not been convicted of any other crimes in the 5 years preceding any petition to seal.

    Good luck,

    Dominic Pang (617-538-1127)

    Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only and it is not intended as legal advice.... more
  4. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Suggest that you go to the court house where you enterd a plea or were convicted. Ask the clerk to pull the file. The abstract of judgement should tell you if the conviction was for a felony or a misdemeanor

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client... more

Related Topics

Felony crime

A felony is a crime that is punishable by more than one year in prison. Certain especially severe felonies may be punishable by the death sentence.

Possession of a controlled substance

Possession of a controlled substance is a drug related crime. You can be charged for having drugs on your person or in your home, vehicle, or other property.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,191 answers this week

3,573 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,191 answers this week

3,573 attorneys answering