Is withdrawing money from a joint bank account illegal?

Asked over 4 years ago - Albany, NY

I am listed on a joint bank account, withdrew money and am being accused of stealing?

1. James S. Tupitza

Answered . I don't think you can be charged with stealing if your name is on the account. The title of the account makes you a joint owner.

DISCLAIMER The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Responses are based solely on Pennsylvania law unless stated otherwise.
    James S. Tupitza
    212 West Gay Street
    West Chester, PA 19380

2. Clifford L. Tuttle Jr.

Pro

Answered . If the bank account is truly a joint account, you have a right to withdraw any or all money from it. This is strange and calls for further explanation. However, you don't say who is making the accusation or why they are making it. If you have been charged with a crime, you need a lawyer.

Clifford L Tuttle, Jr
    Attorney at Law
    Pittsburgh Pennsylvania