Skip to main content

Is vawa something that you need to re-apply for once it is approved?

Atlanta, GA |

I have a vawa apllication that was approved just this month. I understand that after it is approved i will apply for a work permit. And that will have to be renewed yearly. What is the basis of them approving the yearly work permit application? Do they base it off vawa year after year? Is it possible to be denied at some point? Is it possible that they could cancel a vawa approval in the future after it was approved?
Thanks for all your help!

Attorney Answers 4

  1. If you filed an I-360 Self-Petition under VAWA and the abusing spouse was a US Citizen, you would file for adjustment of status to green card once the I-360 is approved. This does not require a new filing every year. If USCIS makes a "prima facie" determination that your petition is approvable, you must extend that within the time frame given on the PF notification.

  2. Please tell us that you had a lawyer help with your application and that you will talk to that attorney first-thing tomorrow.

    If you didn't have one before ... it is not too late: or

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  3. What made you to figure that?

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  4. I agree with my colleagues.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics