Skip to main content

Is travel outside the US on a R1 allowed?

Newark, NJ |

I am currently on a R1 visa but need to leave for a brief period. Is this allowed? What will happen upon my departure and reentry to the US?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


As long as the visa stamp in the passport is unexpired and valid for multiple entries .... and the passport is still valid ... it should be OK.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Yes, absolutely, so long as your consular visa stamp is valid when you seek readmission, your passport still valid, and THE VISA IS FOR MULTIPLE ENTRIES (Very important!)

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Yes, you can use your valid visa for entry and admission to the U.S. after travel abroad.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer