Is this theft of services?

Asked 10 months ago - Lockport, IL

We own a moving company and a customer hired us to complete a move. We had our crew move the customer. The customer in the end even tipped the workers. We accepted a check from the customer, deposited it and a week later found out that the customer stop-payed the check saying that they were not satisfied with the services. Everything was moved, the customer tipped the movers and never called to request a refund or complain that they were not satisfied. This is the first time this has ever happened and we have great reviews overall. Can the customer deliberately stop-paying on a check that they used to pay for services be theft of service?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes report the criminal conduct to the police

    And, you may have civil remedies under the signed contract you have.

  2. Elizabeth Marie Vonau

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes! You can file a police report. If the State elects to bring charges stay in touch with the State's Attorneys Office that is prosecuting the case so that they can make payment of restitution a part of any negotiation or sentence. Your other option is to file suit, but of course this costs you time and money.

    This comment is being left for informational purposes only and based solely on the information provided in the... more
  3. Stephanie M. Kemen

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Keep your bank records and contact your local police department.

  4. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, it is as the services were solicited, rendered and used. Make a police report, provide the records and demand a restitution as a part of the case disposition once it gets to that stage.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,948 answers this week

3,336 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,948 answers this week

3,336 attorneys answering