Is this slander and how to stop it?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ithaca, NY

My wife works in early childhood learning (pre-K) and one of the students claimed that my wife hit him. The parents did the right thing and contacted the police (just as I would) but after an investigation it was obviously this did not happen. Bottom-line: the mother of the child did not accept the police report and continues to spread false rumors that my wife hit this child. We (my wife and I) are active members of the community with sports, church and schools and we consistently have people telling us that this mother continues to spread these hurtful rumors. We have elected not to sue or respond but we do have the means to do so. Since this is now going on >12 months is it time. It must stop!

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

2

1

Answered . Consult with a local lawyer about an order of protection.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

1

Answered . Suing or a least a lawyer's letter. Be mindful that the statute of limitations for defemation is 1 year.

Pro

3

Answered . SOL is one year. A cease and desist letter from a local attorney could work, or it could add fuel to the fire.

4. Marco Caviglia

Answered . The issue is your ability to show damages unless you are entitled under some theory to per se damages. Consult a PI attorney, but if you want to pursue it s/he may want to get paid hourly, and not agree to a contingent fee retainer.