Is this sexual harassment on the job?

Asked about 2 years ago - Grand Rapids, MI

A woman has been spreading rumors at work, which include saying I am having sexual relationships with different men. This has been going on for well over a year ever since she became infatuated with a male co-worker and was driving by his house repeatedly and saw my car there. She has repeatably also been trying to get me in trouble with management by going and complaining about my work habits. She has made and done different statements and actions that worry me about her mental stability. I have complained to management only a handful of times because I didn't want anyone to get in trouble. Yet it is not getting any better only worse. Management does not seem care or believe me... What can I do to insure that I won't lose my job because of this person?

1. James M. Osak

1

Answered . Tell management this has got to stop or
    you'll take LEGAL action which MIGHT
    include suing them (management).

Tell them you feel threatened by this
    person and that THEY are responsible
    for the safety of their workers!

You can also file a PPO against this
    person. Drag her into court and have
    her explain to the judge why she is
    spreading these rumors.

You might have to just sue her for
    defamation (Circuit Court) for $25,000.
    That'll get her attention.

If she threatens you file a police report
    at once.

Good luck!

2. Maurice N Ross

Pro

Answered . I would need more facts to determine whether you have a claim for sex discrimination of sexual harassment. First, is this woman your supervisor? (If so, your employer might be responsible for her misconduct, and you might have a claim. If not, and if she has no influence over the terms and conditions of your employer, you probably have no claim). Has the situation resulted in an adverse change in the terms and conditions of your employment? Has management retaliated against you in any way for raising the issue with them? Only after knowing the answer to these and many other questions could I begin to advise you.

If management is ignoring your complaints, then you need to make a record that you made them. Your first step should be be to retain employment counsel to review all of the facts and circumstances. If appropriate such counsel could write a cease and desist letter to this woman together, with a copy to management. If this does not solve the problem, you may wish to consider suing this woman (although before doing so I would want to make sure that this will not backfire against you and cause you to lose your job). Bottom line---you need to retain counsel to represent you in this matter---self-help is not a good idea.