Is this phrase copyrighted? "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"

Asked almost 5 years ago - Atlanta, GA

fear of copyright infringment if I use this phrase on web page

1. Craig Weiss

Answered . You cannot copyright a phrase, you can only trademark a phrase when that phrase is associated with the sale of goods or services. If you are interested in using that phrase to sell goods or services then you should seek trademark protection for it.

2. Craig Weiss

3. William Robert Samuels

Pro

Answered . While in agreement with the previous posting, I also might figure out if and when another party has used the phrase in relation to their goods or services. If someone else has made such use of the phrase in commerce, then you need to consider their trademark rights and that type of infringement. Consider situations where you might feel that someone “took” the phrase from you. Good luck!

Please note that this information is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice and should not be construed as legal advice. Nothing herein is meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

4. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . Please see my answer to your other question.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.