Is this non-compete enforceable?

Philadelphia, PA |

My non-compete states I cannot contact any customers or prospects of my employer (regardless if they were my customers or prospects) for 15-months post-employment. Additionally, it says if my employment is terminated for any reason voluntarily or involuntarily, I cannot compete with them for 18 months.
Does this mean if I move to an unrelated field I cannot work with people who may have been customers or prospects? What if I were to move to an organization in the same industry which is not a competitor (like a supplier or a partner who does not offer the same products or services)? How am I supposed to be able to identify the prospects of other people in my organization and know not to contact them?

This is nearly impossible to answer without a thorough review of the non-compete clause itself and some insight into the industry at issue. In general, covenants to not compete are enforceable but are not highly regarded by the Courts. In order for a covenant in restraint of trade to be enforceable the covenant must 1) relate to a contract for the sale of the good will of a business or to a contract of employment, 2) be supported by adequate consideration, and 3) be reasonably limited in both time and territory. George W. Kistler, Inc. v. O'Brien, 347 A.2d 311, 314 (Pa. 1975). I’d be more than happy to discuss this in person with you

Stew Crawford Jr., Esq.

Crawford Law Firm
A Full Service Law Firm Serving Pennsylvania & New Jersey

223 North Monroe Street
Media, Pa 19063 (Philadelphia Area)

All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself, create an attorney client relationship. If you wish to consult with an attorney, or have any questions concerning this comment, please feel free to contact our offices through any of the above contact sources.

This is a really complicated area of law and there are a variety of issues that could be explored, such as, whether the non-compete is enforceable in full or part, what state law governs the agreement, the breadth of the non-compete and whether it expressly includes suppliers or partners in its language. If you are contemplating an employment move or if you are concerned about the future given this non-compete, you should consult in-person with an attorney and go over the provisions of the agreement and the applicable law.

Any answers provided are informational only and without an in depth review of the particular facts and circumstances. I only offer legal advice after I enter into a written agreement with clients and after a review of the specific facts in a case.

The precise language of non-compete agreements is critical to interpretation. While Pennsylvania courts have found non-competes to be enforceable when they are incident to employment and the restrictions imposed are reasonably necessary for the protection of the employer's business interest and reasonably limited in time and geographic area, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court has made it clear that non-compete agreements are not favored and are viewed as a trade restraint that prevents a former employee from earning a living. As a consequence, courts scrutinize restrictive covenants in employment agreements to determine whether the burden placed on the employee in the agreement is unreasonable. In order to answers the questions that you pose it is essential you retain an attorney to review the Agreement and meet with you in person to review the non-compete agreement, discuss all facts related to your employment and advise you. We would be glad to set up a consultation and suggest that you contact our office as soon as possible. Andrew Abramson, Esq., Abramson Employment Law, telephone: 267-470-4742. Also, please see our website for more information about our firm and employment law.

At Abramson Employment Law we devote our practice to helping employees fight unfair practices by their employers such as discrimination based upon age, race, sex, religion and national origin, disability, sexual harassment, overtime and unpaid wage disputes. We encourage all clients to contact us by email or telephone and to visit our website Abramson Employment Law, telephone: 267-470-4742, email: As a courtesy to e-mail correspondents, Abramson Employment Law, LLC reviews all inquiries and provides correspondents with a brief courtesy reaction to a factual scenario on a complimentary basis. Please understand that this communication does not constitute a detailed legal opinion for which a client has retained the attorney.

Recommended articles about Employment