Is this malpractice in CA? : attorney never served lawsuit on opposition, then dismissed my case after I wrote to attorney

Asked over 1 year ago - Riverside, CA

to not dismiss my case. Attorney never offered to sub attorney out for myself.

1. Michael Charles Doland

3

Answered . Your facts indicate you should consult a second attorney for an in depth interview with every single document you have as well as your complete written summary of the facts.

2. Neil Pedersen

3

Answered . The facts you have provided do not allow anyone to answer your question. Malpractice is a conclusion that is reached by comparing what the attorney did under the specific circumstances he or she was acting to a standard of care in the practice area and community of the attorney. That analysis requires someone to know all of the facts and circumstances facing that attorney at the time he or she made the decision to dismiss the case, and then to know what the standard of care was based on those facts and circumstances.

Keep in mind that if you could have simply re-file the case and the statute of limitations had not yet run on your claims, there is no possible pay you were damaged, and any claim of malpractice would evaporate away.

If you believe you have an attorney malpractice case, you should locate one or more attorney malpractice attorneys either here on this site (in the Find a Lawyer section) or elsewhere and consult with them, allowing them to learn all of the information.

Good luck to you.

3. Armen Michael Tashjian

Pro

1

Answered . If the attorney did not get your consent to dismiss the lawsuit, you should have another lawyer review your case. The statute of limitations for legal malpractice is one year.