Skip to main content

Is this malpractice, negligence or nothing ?

Sarasota, FL |

I had an MRI done that showed multiple tears to the rotator. Had the repair surgery 2011. Within a year I was in pain again. Same shoulder. MRI was again done and showed 1 of the previously noted tears! Nothing was saying it was a re-tear or one previously repaired. Should this not have been repaired the first time? I now have winging shoulder, atrophy of the long thoracic nerve as well as an atrophied muscle. 1st surgery was in Sept 2011 2nd surgery also Sept 2012.

rotator cuff tendinopathy with partial tears of supraspinatus and subscapular tendons. Part of the first MRI impression. MR arthogram revealed a partial thickness tear of the supraspinatus 2 cm by 1cm. Part of the second MRI result. Just to help clarify.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


Medical malpractice is just another way to say medical negligence. Based on the very limited facts that you have posted, it seems that you may have a case. I would consult with a medical malpractice attorney in you area to review your medical records to determine the strength of your potential case. Best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


You will need to get the medical records and have them reviewed to determine if you have a case for medical malpractice. You have to establish the doctor was negligent and breached the standard of care for similar doctors treating the same injury, you then need to establish that there was a clear connection or causation between the doctor's neglect and your present injuries.

More facts are needed but you may have a claim, I recommend that you consult with a local medical malpractice attorney, which you can find on AVVO.

Good luck.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.


The only way to know if you have a case is to have a medical malpractice attorney order your medical records and have them reviewed by an expert. Good luck.

My answer to your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Consult with an attorney.


The orthopod most likely debrided and repaired it the best he could, and a lawsuit would likely cost thousands more than could be recovered, however, get a local med mal lawyer to send your records to an expert to review to ascertain whether there was a breach of the standard of care. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Kevin Coluccio

Kevin Coluccio


These types of lawsuits are very difficult.


We have reviewed this type of claim on many occasions. All of your records will need to be reviewed in order to understand the causal relationship between your current condition and the alleged failure of the first surgery.



the first surgery did not fail. second mri would have noted it as previously repaired, as it did with the other repairs made.

Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

Chris Matthew Limberopoulos


"failed" is used to indicate it did not achieve the desired result


I am sorry you have undergone this experience. Your potential case merits further investigation. You should contact an experienced medical malpractice attorney in your area, who will obtain your records and have them reviewed by the appropriate specialist.


From your question there is no way to determine whether the original doctor did not repair the injury, or repaired it properly. The fact that you have a recurring injury does not mean that the doctor who did the repair originally was guilty of negligence. (Which in this context is the same as "malpractice").

The only way to make this determination is to have your records reviewed by another doctor in the same field.

But I would suspect that even if the original doctor was negligent that your damages will not be large enough to justify a medical malpractice lawsuit.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me, or visit my website

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer