Is this libel per se? Can the state be sued for libel?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Shelby, NC

I moved to NC from MI in 2012. I was contacted by the sheriff and told I must register as a sex offender or be arrested. I did register and I immediately filed a petition to be removed. The superior court judge agreed stating "I should've never been on the registry". The state appealed the decision which was also dismissed. All this time I remained on the sex registry for nothing, I've had to move three times, changing my sons (whom I have sole custody) school three times, I've been harassed, stalked, house burned and most tragically my english bulldog "Cocoa" was killed in this house fire!!! All this and I haven't even a parking ticket in NC.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . No, but I am glad that you have this resolved, and you can put it behind you.

  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . No, but you should file criminal charges and a civil suit against the person that burned down your house.

    This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,372 answers this week

3,683 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,372 answers this week

3,683 attorneys answering