Is this legal

Asked over 1 year ago - Plainfield, NJ

My ex served me with a civil suit saying i owe him a 5,000.00 plus interest loan from 1/2008 in new york but i've lived in nj since 2001 and he currently holds a PA license. We were still legally married at that time also. Can u choose any state? And i never had a loan with him. How do i prove it?

1. Ivan Raevski

Pro

Answered . Yes he can sue you in NJ since you live in NJ. Doesn't really matter where he lives or where the agreement was made. You don't have to prove anything. As the Plaintiff, it is his job to prove whatever he alleges. If there is no written agreement or other substantial proof, I doubt he will be able to convince the court that you owe money

2. Joseph A Mullaney III

Answered . When you consult with an attorney, you may want to explore whether the applicable statute of limitations will make short work of the lawsuit.

3. Judy A. Goldstein

Answered . Hire a lawyer in the county where the suit was filed. Defend the case.