Is this legal?

Winsted, CT |

I am five and a half months pregnant. I work at a gas station. My boss told me that I will only have two weeks unpaid leave when my baby is born. She said if I am off the schedule for more than two weeks I will lose my job.

1. I agree with attorney Porier. Assuming your employer has at least 3 employees you are covered by the CT Fair Employment Practices Act. The Act requires a covered employer to provide a reasonable period of unpaid leave during any period of disability related to a pregnancy. Two weeks of leave would normally be considered unreasonable as most women require at least 6 weeks to recover from childbirth, provided there are no complications. If you are disabled prior to giving birth, that period would also be covered. Therefore, it appears your employer's position would violate the law if it employs 3 or more employees.

You should contact an attorney.

Licensed in CT and FL

2. Your employer does not have to pay you for time lost due to your pregnancy, but you can use sick time. Contact an attorney to discuss this issue.

You should retain an attorney to address this issue. The above answer is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. I have provided this answer only based on the information presented in the question. The specific actions or answers to this issue require additional information. The above information and answering this question does not constitute an attorney-client privilege. I am not responsible for any issues, problems or losses from any reliance on this answer and information, and the consequences of such reliance.