Is this harassment ?

Bennettsville, SC |

I have a medical bill that I am currently paying 50.00 per month to a collection agency. The first thing they did was call my job & discussed this with my boss.. Then they called my husband wanting me to pay more each month.. I can't believe the nerve of them .. It's very embarrassing as I have no health coverage and doing the best I can

1. It sounds like it violates the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). If you wanted to you could pursue the debt collector for their violations of the act. I suggest that you see an attorney.

This response is for informational purposes only and is not intended to convey detailed legal advice on any specific issue. Transmission of the information contained in this response is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The Law Office of John A. Jackson only practices law where properly authorized to do so and does not seek to represent anyone in any other jurisdiction. This site does not make use of any secure encryption technology, and any transmissions to the Law Office of John A. Jackson may be intercepted by third-parties. DO NOT send us any information that you regard as privileged or confidential. John A. Jackson is licensed to practice law in the State of South Carolina. You should not act upon the information contained herein without first seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in your area.

2. It sounds like they could be violating both the FDCPA and our similar state statute, the SC Consumer Protection Code, which applies to original creditors as well as collection agents. Some consumer protection attorneys, such as myself, can be retained to completely protect you from contact with the creditor, under penalty of law, for very reasonable rates. In addition, the SC law provides that if you write them a letter instructing them not to contact you at your work location, that they must stop doing so. It is also improper for them to contact third parties, such as your husband, for anything other than location information, assuming that they didn't know where you are located. Otherwise, they shouldn't contact third parties at all, and even if they do contact them for location information, they should not discuss your debts with those third parties at all..