Is this grounds for self terminating a travel nursing contract due to agency not paying according to contract?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have been a travel nurse for 1 year & 3 months ago changed travel agencies. I have regretted that decision ever since. I am just now in my 4th week of my contract & after receiving my first paycheck, it wasn't what my contract stated. When I called the payroll division of my agency, I was told of the pay policy of the hospital & was told my contract was incorrect according to the hospital pay policy/contract they had. I sent my recruiter an email stating this problem, that they were not paying me according to the contract that I signed & all I was told was "they are waiting to hear back from payroll". In the meantime, I am continuing to work & not get paid per the rate stated in my contract. I have since accepted a new job with a new travel company. Breach of contract on agency side?

1. Michael Robert Kirschbaum

5

Answered . No one can answer your question without reading the contract. If, in fact, your employer has breached a material term of the contract, you have certain remedies available to you, which may include being relieved of any further obligations you have under the contract. But this is something you must review with an attorney, as well as discuss the details, in order to get an informed legal opinion and be apprised of your legal options.

2. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

3

Answered . It could be a valid reason for terminating your contract. But you need to have an attorney look at the contract first to be sure. Go see an employment attorney in your area before taking any action.

3. Kristine S Karila

1

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys' answers. The words in the contract are key. If the company "materially" breached the terms, then you may be ok. If it was a mistake, then maybe not. It is probably worth it for you to have an attorney analyze your situation after reading the contract and speaking to you. You can probably find an attorney to do this via phone/email at a low fee. 949-481-6909.