Is this ethical?

Asked 3 months ago - Marksville, LA

I consulted with lawyer 2 years ago. She refused to let me hire her. Said case to complicated. She then let my ex (the plaintiff) hire her. She then used all I told her against me in court and now she is running for judge! Is this ethical?

1. L. Vincent Ramunno Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . based on your post, I think the answer is no in most, if not all, states, but the rules do vary some, but id caution, that's based entirely on the minimal information your post provides

2. Lauren G. Coleman

Answered . The rule is that a lawyer can not use what they learned from representing a client to that client's disadvantage. If she did not take your case then you were not her attorney. Because it was 2 years ago it is not likely any of the information she might have learned would have any value in the case. You would have to show that the information you told her made a difference in the case. It would be very unlikely that this was the only factor that decided the case and if there were other factors when a judge or appeal court looks at it they would likely say they could not tell that the information she learned made the difference.

3. Andrew Lawrence Weitz

Pro

1

Answered . Not as you present it, but we'd need to know more to give a more thorough opinion.

4. Gary Ralph Ilmanen

1

Answered . No. .