Is this doctor shopping in the state of Louisiana?

Lafayette, LA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I have a question regarding visiting two separate doctors for a similar medication (Adderall) The school doctor has prescribed me 20mg Adderall Instant release. She recently reduced my dosage from two a day to one a day. In the past I have been on much higher dosages and 20mg does not work for me. So when I travel home for the holidays I see my old doctor and get a prescription of 30mg Adderall extended release. I believe these are two different drugs. The extended release was filled one week after the instant release at a separate pharmacy Is this doctor shopping in the state of Louisiana? I am in school and use my medication for myself.

1. Getting the same medication from two different doctors is the definition of doctor shopping. If one doctor is prescribing the medication in the dose you need and that's working then there's no reason to go to another doctor.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create, an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Louisiana. Responses are based solely on Louisiana law unless stated otherwise

2. Bryan is correct, how many doctors have to prescribe the same medication to you? Wake up you are an addict and need help.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship

3. Actually, under Louisiana law, "Getting the same medication from two different doctors" is not the definition of doctor shopping. Louisiana Revised Statute 40:971(B)(1)(i) prohibits obtaining or seeking to obtain ANY controlled dangerous substance or a prescription for such from a health care practitioner while being supplied with ANY controlled dangerous substance or prescription for such by another practitioner WITHOUT DISCLOSING THE FACT OF THE EXISTING PRESCRIPTION to that practitioner. So, the argument that they are two different drugs is irrelevant, since the law covers any controlled dangerous substance. So the question becomes whether you have revealed the existence of the prior prescription to your hometown doctor when requesting the new prescription. If not, you have violated R.S. 40:971.