Is this cyber stalking or harassment over the internet? Can I sue?

Asked 11 months ago - Port Richey, FL

There is this girl who is out to get my father and she hates me although I don't understand why. She is threatening to tell everyone something REALLY bad about my father at a Grand Opening party my dad is hosting, by putting flyers on people's cars. That was recently. But before, her and over 10 people that used to be my family's friends, started to talk badly about my father and so I defended him, because he is my father! So then they start to get really rude with me and never leave me or my dad alone. They check all over our Facebook pages, make up fake accounts to add us and add our friends to see what we are doing. It's gotten to a point where I feel like they can find us anywhere. I have some evidence. Would this be enough to sue for harrassment?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jonathan H Levy

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You could sue them for something maybe harassment or defamation but based on your brief statement, I am not sure what your damages, if any, might be. If they are violating Facebook's Terms of Service, you can report them to facebook. More likely any standing to file a lawsuit may reside with your father.

    This is not legal advice but a general comment on society based on a limited set of hypothetical circumstances.... more
  2. Andrew Mark Jaffe


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . One of the best things about the Internet is that everyone has a voice. One of the worst things about the Internet is that everyone has a voice.

    I often counsel clients that there are trolls and idiots on every forum and social media site. My best advice is not to engage in communication with them - it only adds fuel to their fire.

    If your father is truly being harassed (and your facts posted don't seem to support a cause of action) he can try to get a restraining order. That could end up costing him thousands and not even solve the problem.

    Sorry I don't have better news for you. Deep taking the high road with your posts and leave the trolls alone.

    This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,693 answers this week

3,113 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,693 answers this week

3,113 attorneys answering