Skip to main content

Is this considered welfare fraud in pa?

Reading, PA |

there is a woman with 3 young children who receives cash assistance and food stamps in pa. recently CYS determined that she is not to be with the children unsupervised.

her parents agreed to take care of the children until CYS determines she is able to care for the kids.

she continues to receive benefits for herself and all the children. now she is also applying for subsidized childcare, claiming she needs someone to watch her children while she is at class. this way her parents will not have to pay for daycare while they are at work.

she told me she was allowed to receive full benefits, cash, food stamps, and daycare for the children because she still has legal custody, and also because her children were with family rather than in foster care.

sounds fishy to me....

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    She should not be collecting benefits. She no longer has custody of the children while they are in the care and custody of children and youth. The agency should be advised that she is continuing to claim the children and collect support. You may wish to contact the Department of Welfare as well to advise of this situation. Abuse in this area is rampant and seldom, if adequately, dealt with by the bureaucratic agencies involved.

    There is no attorney client relationship created by this email. This response is provided for information purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice upon which one should rely for the purposes of litigation, establishing a course of conduct, or representation.

  2. This sounds like it may be fraud in any state, not just PA.

  3. Cash assistance should not be collected by someone if the children are no longer in their physical custody. This is not uncommon, unfortunately. There is a big problem with welfare fraud. Contacting the Department of Welfare is definitely an option.

    Legal Disclaimer: This does not create an attorney-client relationship. This should not be relied on in any way in making any legal decisions. You should consult an attorney that is familiar with all the facts of your case and with whom you have established an attorney-client relationship. This is not legal advice.