Is this considered hit and run?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Winter Park, FL

So i was parallel parked using my dad's car . This guy parked really close to me and when i started backing up i tapped him . I didn't see any damage to the car , and a passenger in the car came out and so did i to talk to him and he told me that its fine and to leave when i tried to tell him my information . So I did . Now my dad is paranoid thinking that they are going to come after him , and i started getting scared but the person told me to leave ? And i started thinking what if the driver didn't want me to leave and now he's mad .

how would he contact me? the guy never took my information, he just told me its fine and to leave. I tried but he just told me to leave, i wish i wrote a note anyways

1. Neil David Kodsi

8

Answered . I completely agree with the previous answer. Since there were no injuries to the passenger and the only possible damage appears to be minimal physical damage to the car, if any, I would just wait and see if the car owner contacts you. If he does, then contact your insurance company and they will take care of it.

2. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

9

Answered . If you are saying that you were parked curbside, and in the process of backing up as part of the maneuvers to leave the parking space your rear bumper "tapped" the front bumper of the vehicle parked and stationary behind you (regardless of whether someone was sitting in it), and there is no damage per se, then the answer is "NO" = this does not constitute a hit and run. Even if the owner contacts you later, just report it to your insurance company.

3. George Costas Andriotis

6

Answered . What you described is not a hit and run. The other vehicle owner advised you he was fine and no harm no foul. You shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

Pro

5

Answered . Since he told you to leave, no.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  5. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

3

Answered . This does not sound like a hit and run situation. You stopped, spoke with an agent of the driver, offered information which apparently was refused and then you complied with the request of the driver.

To perhaps give your dad more peace of mind, you should call your insurance carrier and report the incident as you have described it here. If any civil claim comes back against you, at least you will have reported it and your insurance company will have to stand behind you.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.