Is this considered an eviction? or a broken lease?

Corpus Christi, TX |

I let my landlord know a week before the month of december, that I would not have the rent. He was upset and said he did not care and I had time to come up with the money. I had 800 and was missing 200 but he wanted the whole amount. When the 1st came I recieved a letter that asked if I will be able to pay the 1000 amount by the 3rd. if not i had 2 options to move out or got to court. I had 3 days after the 3rd to leave. I let my landlord know I was leaving by the 5th. The day I was moving my things the landlord said I had 2 hours to move out, his brother was moving in my aparment. Now that Im in TX looking for apt I find out I have an eviction and a missed court date. I never recieved a letter nor a sheriff came to evict me. If I knew I would have gone to court. Help!

The lease was broken and you were evicted. By law, the landlord had to go through summary proceedings to evict you. You had a duty to leave a forwarding address. Looks like this did not occur. You will be on the hook for the outstanding balance. Call the landlord, maybe you can negotiate a settlement. Good Luck.

The information contained in this answer or article is intended to convey general information about "Attorney Tracey" a/k/a Tracey M. Martin-Henry, Esq. It should not be construed as legal advice or an opinion. It is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Any email sent via the Internet to Attorney Tracey at attorneytracey@att.net would not be confidential and would not create an attorney-client relationship.

Thank you I will Check for the balance and just pay it. I do not mind paying the amount my problem was not knowing until now. I tried talking to him but he said he will not give me any information about it.

Tracey M. Martin-Henry

Tracey M. Martin-Henry

Good move. You don't want any zombie debt marring your FICO and credit report.

How can I know how much i owe? So i can pay it?

Tracey M. Martin-Henry

Tracey M. Martin-Henry

Call or visit the district court. Get copies in person is the best way. Pay the judgment and save your receipt. Paperwork is on file there at the district court. (They shoukd be able to look it up via names and address.) Then when you clear it out, make sure Transunion, Experian and the other credit reporting agency--Equifax, are advised and sent proof if the landlord already hit your credit file.

If you run into problems trying to settle this issue, you might contact the Texas Attorney General's Office.

https://www.oag.state.tx.us/consumer/tenants.shtml

Landlord-tenant topics