Is this an invasion of privacy, regarding personal financial information?

Charlotte, NC |

My husband is a member of a non-profit organization in N.C. Members can rent a work space, by the month, if they choose. I just discovered that his rental information, along with other rentals, is listed on a form, on the front computer, in the public lobby area, including if they are past due & the amounts! This information is updated twice a month. Many members have access to this computer as well as the possibility of it being hacked into. There is another computer in a locked office, that only the bookkeeper, rental agent & board members have access too. It would seem reasonable, that the renters information be only on that computer. It would be understandable if they had 5x10 work space = $ per month, 10x10 space = $ per month, but not the personal info. of renters.

1. That is an interesting and potentially good idea you have for improving the business practice of the non-profit. Your idea is not a practice that is required by law, but there is nothing to stop you from making the suggestion or request that the non-profit do it your way.

However, the present practice of the n-p is not an unlawful invasion of privacy -- not even close.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

2. It sounds like an easy enough technical and procedural change for them to make. As my colleague recommends, make the suggestion. As it stands, certainly a security risk, as well as providing public access to private information. Write them a letter.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.