Is this an ethical violation?

Chicago, IL |
Filed under: Professional ethics

A states attorney on my current case also was the states attorney against my son at the very same time.I thought that something like that was not suppose to has because of bias.

1. There is no ethical violation. There is no conflict of interest. There is no bias.

2. Nothing in your question strikes me as a conflict of interest or an ethical violation. You should discuss your concerns with the attorney representing you in your current case.

For more information: www.thomasmoens.com By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

3. This is not an ethics violation

4. As my colleagues have said, no there is no ethical violation here. The attorney does not represent you, he represents the state. If you were suing someone and the attorney who represented you also represented the person you were suing, that would be a conflict of interest and an ethical violation (unless for some strange reason you both agreed to allow that attorney to represent you.)

For a free consultation related to medical malpractice, personal injury, workers' compensation, social security disability or nursing home abuse, please contact Lowenthal & Abrams, PC at 1-800-876-5299. I am licensed in Pennsylvania, but members of my firm are licensed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance. I am licensed to practice law in the state of Pennsylvania.

Professional ethics topics