Is this an ethical violation?

Asked 9 months ago - Chicago, IL

A states attorney on my current case also was the states attorney against my son at the very same time.I thought that something like that was not suppose to has because of bias.

1. Judy A. Goldstein

2

Answered . There is no ethical violation. There is no conflict of interest. There is no bias.

2. Thomas O. Moens

2

Answered . Nothing in your question strikes me as a conflict of interest or an ethical violation. You should discuss your concerns with the attorney representing you in your current case.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

Answered . This is not an ethics violation

4. Jennifer L. Ellis

Pro

Answered . As my colleagues have said, no there is no ethical violation here. The attorney does not represent you, he represents the state. If you were suing someone and the attorney who represented you also represented the person you were suing, that would be a conflict of interest and an ethical violation (unless for some strange reason you both agreed to allow that attorney to represent you.)