Is this a misdemeanor (car accident) ?

Oakland, CA |

In parking lot, I tried getting into a parking space that was real tight. Because of this, I scraped the side of the vehicle and I pulled out. I went down the street (there was no parking left) to see the damage to my car and of course recompose myself since it is my 1st accident, I returned 5 minutes later and I found the owner of the damaged car calling his insurance. I told him that I was the one at fault, and I wanted to handle it with the insurance. We exchanged info, and insurance business is on the way. He said he didn't call the police, and I wouldn't have to worry about them.

Thanks a lot! My father who is the policy holder, helped me out. And our insurance got back and from what I was told, I don't have to worry anymore. The owner of the other car will go to the shop to get it fixed, and they will bill my insurance.

1. Depending on the value of the damage you may need to file a report with the department of motor vehicles. Since you admitted it was your fault and are cooperating with the other party I can't see any criminal liability.

I wish you the best of luck.

If you found this helpful I would appreciate your clicking the "thumbs up" below.

Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.

2. You got lucky this time, but never, and I mean never, either leave the scene of an accident or not file a police report, as it usually comes back to bite ya.

3. You did the right thing. Report it to your insurance carrier & make sure to file an SR-1 (see below link). Take care & be safe!

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

4. You returned to the scene of the accident and provided the legally required information, I would not concern yourself with a misdemeanor worry.