Is this a Fair Credit Reporting Act violation?

Thousand Oaks, CA |

TransUnion says they investigated a tradeline for me. However on the Date Verified, it shows from 2011 and hasn't changed. However they claimed to have investigated it 6 times in the last 6 months. Is this a violation? if the Date Verified never changes?

There are several excellent advocates in your state. I would suggest you gather your dispute letters to Trans Union, along with each of their responses and consult with one of them. Go to for a list of seasoned professionals in your area. Most advocates will provide an initial consultation without cost or obligation.

In short, if Trans Union has continued to report false and derogatory information after a valid dispute by you, you may be entitled to damages under the FCRA. Good luck to you!

NOTE: This Answer does not constitute legal advice. Every case is fact specific. To render a legal opinion, an attorney must engage in a consultation with a prospective client and review any pertinent documents. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship with Attorney Amy L. Wells or WELLS LAW OFFICE, INC.

Sounds odd. Generally credit reports should reflect accurate information. Whether this rises to the level of a violation would be based upon reviewing your specific situation. The previous author gave you a great link and I would urge you to look into that.

By responding to your question I do not intend to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions or an attorney-client relationship. My response is intended to be only my educated opinion and it should not be relied upon as legal advice. My response is based upon the facts provided and to the extent additional or different facts exist, my response might be different. I am an attorney is licensed to practice law only in Florida. To the extent that I am responding to a question posed by an individual in a different state, my response is being given to generally respond and the questioner is ALWAYS advised to consult a local attorney for a more specific and definitive answer to the question posed.

If the report was verified at a date, and if that date is accurate, and there is no incorrect information reported, the report appears accurate, although possibly incomplete, in my opinion.

Reporting and complaints about reporting under the fair credit reporting laws, are geared more to removing inaccurate or untimely information, rather than loading up all available details and information.

You can attempt to add additional information, by objecting to the report as stated, and adding your own written explanation or statement, generally limited to 100 words or so.

General legal advice is offered for educational purposes only. A consultation with a qualified attorney is required to determine specific legal advice as to your situation and applicable law. We are a debt relief agency and we help people file for relief under the bankruptcy laws.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt