Is this a conflict of interest?

Brooklyn, NY |

My Co-op Board of Directors (CBOD) runs a lawsuit against me. Mr. AAA is an attorney who represents CBOD in this lawsuit. The CBOD consists of 9 directors, 4 of them are officers. Today Mr. AAA filed new lawsuit against me and another 4 shareholders where Plaintiffs are 3 persons: Mr. BBB, Mr. CCC, and Mr. DDD. Text of the Verified Complaint has item “Parties” where there is an explanation that these 3 persons are directors and officers of the CBOD, one of them is President of the CBOD. Could you please tell me if this new case is “The CBOD against 5 shareholders” or this new case is “3 shareholders against 5 shareholders”? And, if your answer is “3 shareholders against 5 shareholders”, is this a conflict of interest for attorney Mr. AAA?

No. Your fact pattern does not reflect any conflict and you cannot assert a conflict on the other side of the counsel table because you don't have "standing" to do so.

2. The lawyer represents the Board in one case and Board members in the other? That does not sound like a conflict of interest.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. In any event, if there is a conflict of interest, the clients of the attorney can waive the conflict. You, as the opposing party, do not have standing to assert the conflict or to prevent waiver.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.