Is this a case of wrongful termination?

Kissimmee, FL |

I was titled as the administrator of an outpatient center. The reason why I am saying it like that is because the medical director made it quite clear that I only had the authority over the business office aspect of the facility, not the clinical side. He has clinical supervisors for that. I was let go from my position after an inspection discovered that a clinical employee had failed to perform all of the assigned tasks that was asked of them. He waited 3 weeks before he let me go. I had no idea that this was going to happen. The clinical supervisor and the clinical employee who failed to perform his functions are still employed. I have never had a negative review or disciplinary write up.

Florida is an at-will employment state, which means that the employer can end the employment relationship at any time (as can the employee) as long as the determination to end the employment relationship was not based upon an employee's membership in a protected class and was discriminatory in nature.

However, if you had a contract with your employer, and the employer's termination of you was in violation of the terms of that contract, you may have an action against the employer for a breach of contract. If that is the case, bring a copy of the contract with you when you go and speak with an attorney so that the attorney will be in a better position to advise you.

An attorney-client relationship is NOT created by the answering of this question. If you would like to discuss your matter more fully with my office, please contact me to set up an initial consultation.

Business topics