Is third party debt marital debt?

Safety Harbor, FL |

is third party debt marital debt? for instance, her live in boyfriend with whom she has been living for two years co signed loans and her mother gave her a credit card to use without her being an authorized user or consignee. does any of this become my responsibility or is it a financial alleviation? also, she maxed two credit cards in her name while living with him..

Only debt that was acquired during the marriage is marital debt. You need to get the specifics on when these debts were incurred, in relation to the separation. The debt that she has with her live in boyfriend is not marital. Debt that she ran up after separation should not be considered marital if you received absolutely no benefit and she received all of the benefit.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,

Third party debt is normally only divided in the divorce if it was incurred to take care of the marital residence or family expenses.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272

I agree with my colleagues. The debt accrued after the separation should be considered non marital unless it was used for marital purposes (like remodeling the marital home, paying off a marital debt, etc.) Talk to an attorney about your specific facts.

Legal disclaimer: Ms. Braaten's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but rather is meant to share knowledge with the general public. For specific advise on your case, you need to consult one on one with an family law attorney.

No. Post separation debts are her debt not yours.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes