Is third party debt marital debt?

Asked 5 months ago - Safety Harbor, FL

is third party debt marital debt? for instance, her live in boyfriend with whom she has been living for two years co signed loans and her mother gave her a credit card to use without her being an authorized user or consignee. does any of this become my responsibility or is it a financial alleviation? also, she maxed two credit cards in her name while living with him..

1. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

6

Answered . Only debt that was acquired during the marriage is marital debt. You need to get the specifics on when these debts were incurred, in relation to the separation. The debt that she has with her live in boyfriend is not marital. Debt that she ran up after separation should not be considered marital if you received absolutely no benefit and she received all of the benefit.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,
  2. Carin Manders Constantine

3

Answered . Third party debt is normally only divided in the divorce if it was incurred to take care of the marital residence or family expenses.

3. Arica Lynn Braaten

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. The debt accrued after the separation should be considered non marital unless it was used for marital purposes (like remodeling the marital home, paying off a marital debt, etc.) Talk to an attorney about your specific facts.

4. John Arthur Smitten

1

Answered . No. Post separation debts are her debt not yours.