Is there time frame the judges have to make a decision on asylum cases?

Margate City, NJ |

I've had an asylum hearing before immigration court almost a year ago, everything went well. however, judge said he will mail the decision soon. it's been almost a year. how long can it take? is there a legal time to close the case?

That certainly sounds extremely long. If all of the testimony was taken and all the documentation was submitted and you were not scheduled for another hearing, and if the IJ said the decision will be mailed, than you or your representative should contact the IJ's clerk and follow up on this.

Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite at 646-407-2331. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

No time frame. Have you discussed with your lawyer?

I think you should follow up with the judge's clerk. Something went wrong here. It does not take this long. Did you put your A# into the court's 1-800 system? See what it says.

i did, it says the case is currently pending. will it hurt my case if we contact the case and "bother the judge"?

Deborah Lynne Karapetian

Deborah Lynne Karapetian

Not at this point - long over due. I think they actually forgot to make a decision on your case unless they were waiting for another case similar to use as a guide and that case is not decided yet. But I would followup.

No, there is not. If the case has been pending for that long after a
final hearing then it is certainly worth bringing to the judge's
attention. If you are represented by an attorney, the attorney should
be addressing this for you. Otherwise I strongly suggest you retain
qualified counsel.