Is there such thing as marriage with "no out" clause in an agreement?

Asked about 2 years ago - Pensacola, FL

Is a marriage possible with an agreement to never to divorce? Sort of like prenuptial but never to divorce under whatever the circumstance. Is that possible?

.

1. Pamela Koslyn

2

Answered . No. There are "covenant" marriages in some parts of the country, and those require pre-marital counselling and limit the grounds for divorce, but no U.S. state forces married couples to stay married if one of them wants out.

2. Joanna Marie Mitchell

Pro

Answered . No, that is not possible, as it would be unconstitutional to require someone to stay in a marriage they no longer wanted to be in. A prenuptial agreement can be entered into that could possibly provide for certain financial penalties for infidelity or other misconduct, but that is all.