Is there such thing as an inadmissibility pardon? Would I be eligible?

Asked 11 months ago - Seattle, WA

Approximately 15 years ago I was immigrating to the US from the Vancouver airport. An officer searched me and discovered that I had approximately 1 gram of marijuana that I didnt know was with me. They declared me inadmissable and for the past 15 years I have been getting a waiver in order to cross the border. I have no other criminal convictions in my life and regard the incident as a stupid college mistake. Is there any way of getting around the inadmissability issue? Is it possible to get a pardon for this?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

Answered . If you wish to immigrant to the US, a conviction of possession of under 30 grams of marijuana does not make you inadmissible.

2. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Pro

2

Answered . No. Your offense was a civil ground of inadmissibility. A waiver is required. The President may arguably lack jurisdiction, because it is not a crime, but a civil immigration order.

A private bill is the only other option, but unlikely to prove compelling without further information. Assuming argument, the costs of such an effort outweighs the benefit. Perhaps, immigration is an option, but this is unclear.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  3. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

1

Answered . Unfortunately you are in a bad position. You could ask for a pardon if it happened in the US by the governor. You will probably always need the waiver.