Skip to main content

Is there such thing as an inadmissibility pardon? Would I be eligible?

Seattle, WA |

Approximately 15 years ago I was immigrating to the US from the Vancouver airport. An officer searched me and discovered that I had approximately 1 gram of marijuana that I didnt know was with me. They declared me inadmissable and for the past 15 years I have been getting a waiver in order to cross the border. I have no other criminal convictions in my life and regard the incident as a stupid college mistake. Is there any way of getting around the inadmissability issue? Is it possible to get a pardon for this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Unfortunately you are in a bad position. You could ask for a pardon if it happened in the US by the governor. You will probably always need the waiver.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.



It happened at the Vancouver International Airport. Would that change anything?


No. Your offense was a civil ground of inadmissibility. A waiver is required. The President may arguably lack jurisdiction, because it is not a crime, but a civil immigration order.

A private bill is the only other option, but unlikely to prove compelling without further information. Assuming argument, the costs of such an effort outweighs the benefit. Perhaps, immigration is an option, but this is unclear.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


If you wish to immigrant to the US, a conviction of possession of under 30 grams of marijuana does not make you inadmissible.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer