Is there statute of limitations for medical malpractice for failure to diagnose?

Beverly Hills, CA |

I had severe symptoms for 4 months including a cough that wouldn't go away, night sweats, chronic fever, bone pain, jaundice, swelling of limbs, distended abdomen, etc. I saw my primary care physician every two weeks and was prescribed allergy medicine, inhalers, etc. Finally I went to the ER when my fevers would reach 104 and the ER doc ordered extensive testing right away. I was hospitalized, diagnosed with Stage IV leukemia and nearly died. I'm in remission now and this was 6 years ago. Is the doctor liable at all for failure to diagnose when there is plenty of documentation showing the symptoms I complained of at each visit?

1. "Is there statute of limitations for medical malpractice for failure to diagnose?" --- Yes. See Code of Civil Procedure section 340.5 which reads in pertinent part: "In an action for injury or death against a health care provider based upon such person's alleged professional negligence, the time for the commencement of action shall be three years after the date of injury or one year after the plaintiff discovers, or through the use of reasonable diligence should have discovered, the injury, whichever occurs first. In no event shall the time for commencement of legal action exceed three years unless tolled for any of the following: (1) upon proof of fraud, (2) intentional concealment, or (3) the presence of a foreign body, which has no therapeutic or diagnostic purpose or effect, in the person of the injured person. Actions by a minor shall be commenced within three years from the date of the alleged wrongful act except that actions by a minor under the full age of six years shall be commenced within three years or prior to his eighth birthday whichever provides a longer period. Such time limitation shall be tolled for minors for any period during which parent or guardian and defendant's insurer or health care provider have committed fraud or collusion in the failure to bring an action on behalf of the injured minor for professional negligence."

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

2. In a nutshell, the SOL for medical malpractice in California is either one year from discovery of the malpractice, or three years -- which ever is shorter. Unfortunately, it sounds like you're beyond the applicable SOL.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

3. In your state, 1 yr from discovery of the malpractice, or 3 yrs, which ever is shorter

4. Sorry for your experience. Way too late to file now.