Is there somewhere i can check an attorney's track record, before hiring them? In other words a scorecard of sorts,

Asked almost 2 years ago - Santa Ana, CA

"wins and losses" so that I do not hire the wrong person for my job. This is for a potential criminal matter, and I have surfed through court cases similar to mine, then researched superior court records to see the attorney representing and compared the results to the original complaint. Tedious but I cannot find a better way. I have seen martingale reviews and this site, avvo, but seems to me there must be a better way.

1. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

8

1

Best Answer

Answered . "Wins and losses" in the criminal setting is hard to gauge. Every case is unique, so every outcome depends on the facts of the case, what legal and factual defenses are available, etc.

Having said that, what's a "win"? Getting charges dismissed on a legal issue? Winning a motion to suppress evidence? Getting a not guilty verdict at trial? A lesser charge? A favorable plea agreement?

The only way to really assess attorneys is to do what you are doing - online research, backgrounds of their experience, etc. From there though, it'll take face to face meetings to discuss your case and how the two of you "fit" in a common defense. In your in-person consultations, you can discuss their experience with similar cases, what issues they see and their tentative strategy. Of course, that strategy is always subject to change, depending on how the facts and the case shapes up.

You can drive yourself crazy by overanalyzing things, but once you've got it narrowed down to your top 3 or so contenders, start setting up consultations and go from there. There's something about the intangible feeling you can gain about people when you meet them.

Best of luck in the process.

2. Catherine Elizabeth Bennett

5

1

Answered . Attorney Chen is correct. There is no single source to which you can turn for this information. You should perform your own research.

Just as with many things, the best way to hire an attorney is to ask people you know and trust for a recommendation. If you know any civil attorneys, ask them for recommendations for a criminal defense attorney. If you have friends or family who know attorneys, ask your friends and family to ask the attorneys they know. Many civil attorneys are well-acquainted with criminal defense attorneys and can make recommendations based on the nature of the matter.

Wins and losses are not the best gauge, either. A lot of good criminal defense attorneys lose a lot; they handle major felonies and the like and, unfortunately, their clients are not all winners. Remember the win or the loss is mostly a function of the facts and the client brings the facts with them to the attorney's door. The attorney just tries to deal with the facts the best way he/she can.

After you get a few names, contact a couple and speak with them. Then make your decision.

3. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

4

Answered . No, there isn't a data source or clearinghouse which provides this information. Unfortunately, there isn't a better way other than to take the time to check out references and to do your own research.

4. Don Springmeyer

5

1

Answered . Even more important, scoring by wins and losses is a deceptively easy but inaccurate approach even when you can get to the data. Some of the best lawyers lose hard cases, even with the best possible lawyering, and some crappy lawyers win easy cases even though they may arguably be almost brain dead.

The Martindale rating combined with actual recommendations should be the best approach, combined with your reaction when you meet with someone to discuss your case.

5. Dave Bahr

Answered . I agree with my colleagues that there is no "scorecard" source nor would something like that be useful for the reasons mentioned. I write to underscore that the best means to evaluate a potential lawyer is to meet with him/her personally. Anytime a person is looking into hiring a criminal defense attorney, there is something unpleasant going on in that person's life. Accordingly, it is crucial that you be comfortable with the attorney's judgment; your liberty depends on it. If you can ask friends/associates for personal references, that might be a good way to identify potential lawyers. Feel free to interview 2 or 3 and make clear that you are doing so. Good luck.